Who wants 2019 to be their best year ever? We want that for you, too.
Have you noticed how when people say they are making resolutions, it’s usually about improving their fitness and nutrition?
Those are just two of the Eight Essentials outlined in my book, The Healing Revolution. There are another six that complete the Eight Essentials of an optimal life.
For the next eight weeks, we invite you to journey through the transformational Eight Essentials.
These are all free tools that you can use on your path toward whole-person health in 2019 and beyond. Let’s get started!
Essential #1 – Awakening the Power of the Human Spirit
This empowering Essential is first because it is so important. I think of this Essential as the solution (“soul-lution”) for truly successful resolutions!
A transformational journey is about much more than just accomplishing a few new year’s health resolutions. This series is about optimizing your success in every aspect of your life.
Learn to harness and align the human spirit within you to your goals, and you will be amazed at what you can “become.” Life is not only about what you do, it’s about who you are. Remember, we are creative human “beings,” not human “doings.” You are so much more than you think.
The human spirit encompasses your will, your emotions, your vision, your belief system, your self-image, and so much more. It fuels your creativity.
The human spirit is the heart of all the higher states of consciousness that we associate with greatness: peace, love, joy, and appreciation of beauty.
Great health is the byproduct of a great life in all the essential areas.
You are in the driver’s seat of your life. Your doctor can’t think positive thoughts for you, and that is absolutely essential for your life and whole-person health.
Consider these excerpts from The Healing Revolution:
Realize the truth that you are designed to be healthy. Great health, happiness and a fulfilling life are within your grasp.
Good habits are contagious, but so are bad habits. Your community is one of the most important factors influencing the outcome of the Healing Revolution in your life.
Paint a picture in your mind of the YOU that you hope to become. Imagine that …
- your body is healthy,
- your mind is happy,
- your smile is bright,
- you have a terrific attitude,
- you have abundant energy,
- you have discovered your life mission and purpose, and
- your joy is infectious to people around you.
This is a picture of the new you. This image of health will lead you deeper into The Healing Revolution®.
These are some simple day-to-day habits that will help increase happiness in your life.
- Savor everyday moments. I love tuning into the simple things that bring joy to life each day. Stop to smell the roses and find beauty in people and the amazing life all around you.
- Create! We, more than any other creatures on earth, are born to create. This creative energy is at the heart of the Healing Revolution. You might not be a painter or musician, but you can create something of beauty to share with others. Creating is one of your most profound keys to happiness.
- Avoid comparisons. Comparisons cripple your self-worth and lead you to make bad decisions.
- Live more simply and don’t stress. Worry leads to depression and anxiety.
- Eat simple, natural foods and drink pure, natural spring water. Bad diets lead to depression.
- Cultivate goals and purpose. Significant dreams and aspirations lead to deeper joy and purpose.
- Find passion in your work. The wrong work attitude can suck the life out of you.
- Invest in friends and family. Develop at least a few long-lasting, caring, healthy relationships.
- Resolve conflict and practice forgiveness, even if you do not receive kindness in return.
- Smile and have a positive attitude. Even if you don’t feel like it, an optimistic attitude goes a long way in lifting spirits.
- Exercise outdoors. Fresh air, sunshine and exercise work wonders on both the mind and body.
- Tune into your healthy intuitions, which will lead you to make positive, life-affirming choices in all Eight Essentials of life.
- Give generously. The health benefits of giving time and money are higher than quitting smoking. Your feelings about yourself improve dramatically when you help others in need.
A survey of 14,000 men and women determined that people are happier if they:
- Watch TV or play video games less than 30 minutes each day.
- Spend no more than one hour on social networks per day.
- Listen to more than an hour of music every day.
- Spend time volunteering each week.
- Have at least one friend of a different race or ethnicity.
- Get 8 to 9 hours of sleep per night.
- Practice relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation.
- Take more vacation days each year.
- Get more sunshine and spend time in nature every day.
- Read at least 6 books each year.
Create a Self-Evaluation chart. Take a sheet of paper, and at the top, write Human Spirit.
Draw a line down the middle to create two columns. At the top of the left-hand column, write My Life-Destroying Choices. What life-destroying choices or habits in this one area of your life would you like to change? Write them in that column. Don’t try to list all the life-destroying choices that you’d like to change … just this one area. We’ll address the others, one at a time.
At the top of the right-hand column, write My Life-Affirming Choices. Pick some ideas from the lists above that resonate with you and write them on this side. If any new life-affirming choices occur to you, write those, too. Ask yourself how you can help awaken the power of your human spirit.
What changes can you make this week that will shift your balance sheet in this one area of your life from the Life-Destroying Choices over to the Life-Affirming Choices side? If you make even one or two of those changes every day this week, how might your life change?
To learn more about this Essential, download and listen to my podcast series on this topic. You can stream or download from iTunes, SoundCloud, UK Health Radio, Stitcher, TuneIn, or iHeartRadio. Listen while you drive, travel, walk, do housework, or work out.
We want to be part of your support community. Your community is one of the most important factors influencing the outcome of The Healing Revolution® in your life.
If you are so inspired, we invite you to share your progress on our Facebook page. If you need a bit of moral support, please reach out to that group as well.
Thanks for being part of our community.
Enjoy the journey!
 Dan Buettner, Thrive (Washington, DC: National Geographic Society, 2011), p. 251-259.